Monday, August 27, 2012

Farewell to Summer, Farewell to a Friend

It's getting to be that wonderful time of year...the cool breeze of fall starts to blow, the leaves are already changing, my Crock Pot will soon be dusted off, and it's time to say a sad goodbye to the beach and hello to back-to-school.  Karma Kids slows down considerably during the summer only to crank into overdrive after Labor Day, so I'm feeling the calm-before-the-play-yoga-storm right now.  I've got one more summer adventure ahead - my big sister's wedding on Saturday - and then I get to settle back down into a regular schedule.

Yesterday's sad (but unbelievably fun!) goodbye to the beach wasn't the only goodbye I had this weekend.  One of my best friends and the reason why I'm living this life I so dearly love of working with children today, Laura Frye, has finally bid farewell to New York and is starting a new adventure with her wonderful husband in Milwaukee, WI.

It's not goodbye forever - they'll be back for a least a little while in March, and she'll be back just next and will join me in celebrating our boss's daughter's awesome haunted house birthday.  But my everyday life will be dramatically different and less bright without her in it.

I've known Laura for about 5 years, but we really became close 3 years ago at the Virginia Shakespeare Festival where I was the Company Manager/Assistant to the Artistic Director/Much Ado groupie.  We had many great times together and she started accompanying me to yoga classes at a great Williamsburg, VA studio Body Balance.

That September, when I moved to New York and started Sonic Yoga's 200-hr Teacher Training, our friendship became more yoga-fied when we started having weekly yoga dates where I'd practice teach her in her living room.  The combination of yoga, gossip, and occasionally wine and sushi, only served to deepen our friendship!

Playing with little Karma Kids Yogis
The following year, in 2010, was when Laura started working at Karma Kids and got me on board to take the teacher training and work at the desk.  Obviously, the rest is history - I got hooked on kids yoga, expanded to pre and postnatal, and now am even doing pre/postnatal Pilates through Karma Kids.

We've taught each other, learned from each other, helped each other out, and been there for each other countless times over the years - both in yoga and life.  It's been very hard not to feel sad and depressed about her leaving, despite how happy I know she and Lenny will be in Milwaukee.  I've decided to think of Laura, instead of just a beautiful friend that I'll miss at work and at play, as a teacher that I've learned so much from.  As with anyone or anything in life, it's really about what you can take away from it and what you've learned.

Reading at her wedding to Lenny
So in honor of my friend and my teacher, I just wanted to list a tiny handful of things I've learned from her.  Love you and miss you, Lala, and NYC is not the same without you!  See you next time :)


No one's problems are worse than anyone else's.  Everyone's going through something, so don't put your issues up on a pedestal over someone else's.

Stay positive, even if you don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Ask for what you want in a loud, clear voice.

Our southern manners are one of the greatest gifts we've received in life - use them!

Kids are never in charge.

Work hard - we're only here once.

Wear sunscreen.  Wear a hat.  Get screened.

American Eagle has the best underwear.

Be proud of your faith.

You can't be vegan in Italy.

Every girl needs a secret summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection of a blog (and a hip)

One year ago today - on a much cloudier, much colder, and quite frankly very hungover morning - I went out to run.  My goal was either 4 mil...