Skip to main content

Unplugging and Mono-tasking

Happy 2012, Internets!

The beginning of a new year is always rife with self reflection, resolutions, positive change, year-in-review articles, and about twenty metric tons of inspiration/helpful/healthful articles about how to make this year the year you keep your resolutions and are happy and perfect.  For a (relatively new) wellness junkie like me, it's all a little overwhelming - especially when my Facebook news feed is full of likeminded yogis posting tons of articles that interest me.  The whole thing can just turn into too much of a good thing.


Of all the zillions of blogs and articles I've read in the last week or so, this New York Times article has stuck with me the most significantly.  Our phones, computers, television - it all adds up to a constant influx of information overload if we let it.

I don't have an interest in being a monk or paying zillions of dollars to stay someplace that doesn't have a TV (can they not just leave it off?) like the article mentions, but I can completely relate to the desire to be unplugged.

My own experience with my personal journaling (to say nothing of writing this blog!) has been adversely affected by this as well.  I've been keeping my personal journal on my computer since 2006 at least and it has served me well.  I type faster than I write, so keeping it on the computer just made sense for me, as I can keep up with and thus express my thoughts better.

 Now, it's gotten to the point where I have to force myself to deactivate the WiFi on my computer or else I'll literally stop midsentence and check facebook for no reason.  I don't even have a very strong desire to, I just do it.  It makes no sense!  I've been doing more pen-to-paper journaling lately just to feel like I'm actually connecting with myself, rather than being in front of a screen where Facebook, email, other health blogs, online newspapers, and a recipe idea for dinner are a tantalizing click away.

I think part of it comes down to too much multi-tasking and not enough "mono"-tasking.  In one of my procrastinate-y, getting-lost-in-the-blogging-rabbit-hole moments, I came upon this lovely blog from YogaJournal.com where the author mentions the lost art of mono-tasking as a time management technique.  It's brilliant, and something I've absolutely taken to heart.

So in the midst of the fabulous flurry of New Year's self-help articles, resolution making, and intention setting, remember to occasionally unplug yourself from the flood of well-meaning but often overwhelming information out there.  Remember that we're all doing our best, whether in January or June, and we can all use a break from the constant technological connection now and then to help us connect deeper with ourselves.

Comments

  1. The unplugging you mention is why I've stuck to traditional books over ebooks so far.

    My checking of blogs, twitter, the news, the cricket score, etc is pretty complusive. I think it's healthy to put my laptop/phone down when I'm reading. Sometimes I quite consciously take a break, put my laptop on the other side of the room and read instead. If had a kindle or whatever I'd be pausing to google something every 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I do a lot of thinking with pen and paper (or actually pencil and paper)... but then I don't type much faster than I write ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Brain Gym

I cannot believe I haven't blogged about Brain Gym yet!  That is absolutely bananas, and also sort of great because after a few years of incorporating the little bits and pieces I learned from Shari (founder & director of Karma Kids Yoga and the only boss I've ever had with whom I've also done crazy things like the pose on the right, which she named "fart neck"), I finally took the "Brain Gym 101" course this past weekend to learn more in depth about the what's and wherefore's.

Brain Gym is a lot of things, but what it is primarily is a way to facilitate better learning through movement.  Although it started in the field of education and helping children learn better, everyone can benefit from it.  You may be reading and writing just fine, but do you have a situation where you struggle to communicate your needs clearly to a partner, a friend, a co-worker?  Do you struggle with random bouts of unexplained anxiety that you struggle to release…

Faith in Humanity

The oft-quoted Kathrine Switzer, long distance female trailblazer, once wrote, "If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon."

Marathon Sunday is always one of my favorite days of the year in New York City.  I've spent these Sunday's over the last eight years that I've been here as a spectator and cheerleader, both in person and on the couch in my boot nursing my injury last year, I've been a volunteer, I went down with other marathoners and marathon volunteers to Staten Island after Sandy in 2012 after the race was canceled - and I've spent the last two years fighting to qualify for it.

Next year will be my year, along with my 'sole sister' (I'm making it happen) and work wife Laura, so this year was another year spent being absolutely inspired beyond measure cheering on the sidelines.  Seeing the heart, the raw emotion, the joy, the pain, the absolute love from the sidelines and from the runners is awe inspiring.  Ye…

Grateful.

It's been eight years today since I've been with the love of my life.

A few months from five years married (Costa Rica, here we come).

Eight years and a couple months since living in the city.

Seven years of Friendsgivings in NYC with my chosen family.

Seven years of Karma Kids Yoga - more chosen family and buckets of kids.

Ten years since college; fourteen of the friendships.

One picked-clean, no leftovers turkey last night.  A table of desserts.

And in ten days we do it again with family.

This morning I'm tired, still full, and grateful.