Skip to main content

Joining the Circus!

Almost a month ago, days after Marc and I returned from our fabulous vacation, I dove headfirst into the Circus Yoga Ring One Immersion.  It's called an Immersion instead of a teacher training because that's exactly what it is.  More than a workshop, but not quite a teacher training.

It was a three day extravaganza devoted to throwing us all in the deep end of experiencing Circus Yoga for ourselves, and it was an absolute blast!  For those of you wondering what the heck Circus Yoga is, it's a fantastically fun blend of, "the consciousness of yoga with the communal ceremony and expression of circus," according to founders Erin Maile O'Keefe and Kevin O'Keefe.  Erin was our "ringmaster," so to speak, for the weekend and she was so much fun.

Circus Yoga is honestly something I probably would never have looked twice at if not for Karma Kids.  Aside from the fact that the two programs have a strong relationship, there is SO MUCH value to knowing Circus skills and games as a kid's yoga teacher.  Whether it be juggling scarves, walking the balance pipe, playing hilarious games like Wrong Room, or learning to fly and do tricky acrobatic partner poses, Circus Yoga provides an absolutely endless array of ways for people of all ages to break outside their comfort zone and pleasantly surprise themselves.  It's a wonderful gift to give to anyone, and it's particularly special and rewarding to be able to share it with kids.

One of the coolest moments I had was when we were learning how to fly each other, and with the help of our wonderful assistant WT, I was able to actually fly Marc!  Keep in mind he's a full foot taller than me and outweighs me by about 70 pounds, and that's a truly remarkable feat.  I had to have about 8 blankets under my lower back so that his head wouldn't just crash into my torso and he could get some traction, and it's certainly not something I could do every day, but it was so amazing and empowering!   It was also really cool that Marc was able to come participate in a workshop, as most of the events at Karma Kids revolve exclusively around kids - and needless to say, we don't have any yet.  Circus Yoga is truly for all ages.

To check out some of our adventures in Circus, go to facebook and "like" the Karma Kids Yoga page and the Circus Yoga page.  Karma Kids has several albums of their Circus Yoga workshop pictures, and obviously the Circus Yoga page itself is rife with pictures from their workshops, immersions, and teacher trainings all around the country.  (There are also plenty of pictures of folks flying each other if you have no clue what I'm talking about...)

Circus Ring One was an amazing experience, and I've been sharing the games and the love with almost every single one of my classes ever since.  Check it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Brain Gym

I cannot believe I haven't blogged about Brain Gym yet!  That is absolutely bananas, and also sort of great because after a few years of incorporating the little bits and pieces I learned from Shari (founder & director of Karma Kids Yoga and the only boss I've ever had with whom I've also done crazy things like the pose on the right, which she named "fart neck"), I finally took the "Brain Gym 101" course this past weekend to learn more in depth about the what's and wherefore's.

Brain Gym is a lot of things, but what it is primarily is a way to facilitate better learning through movement.  Although it started in the field of education and helping children learn better, everyone can benefit from it.  You may be reading and writing just fine, but do you have a situation where you struggle to communicate your needs clearly to a partner, a friend, a co-worker?  Do you struggle with random bouts of unexplained anxiety that you struggle to release…

Home is Where the Heart is

One of the most cloyingly saccharine cliches of all time?  Yes.  True?  Also yes.  Sort of.

It's been an incredibly eventful three weeks.  At the end of June, my sister underwent major abdominal surgery to repair a major diastasis caused by two back-to-back large pregnancies.  On that same day Marc and I headed up on the Megabus to Massachusetts for a fun long July 4th weekend of family (including our two delicious little LeVasseur nephews!), wine, fun, and going through endless boxes of nostalgia from his childhood as his parents prepare to put their gorgeous house on the market.  The baby pictures!  The metric tons of books! The middle school poetry!  Oh, the earnest and terrible middle school poetry...

Then last weekend, I flew to SC for a whirlwind celebration of the twins' third birthday with family (third!!!), helping out my sister, who is recovering beautifully in every sense of the word.  Just shy of three days of nonstop work, play, and extreme highs and lows of overs…

Health Scare

I had a whole draft of a blog in my head all made up, but it has been a day.  And now that I've come down from all the life-stuff of the day, I'm left to ponder with a growing, nauseating dread what 217 elected representatives voted for today.

Forgive the pun-y and ridiculous title.  I'm just so afraid that this is our country now.

In case you're wondering who voted how, check out this helpful page in the NYTimes.

Listen - we all know Obamacare wasn't perfect.  But I know several people who would literally not be alive today without it.  I wouldn't have health insurance without it - and you better believe I use my health insurance.

Instead of having a group of adults who can intelligently discuss policy and talk about improving our health care system, we have a group of children who stick their fingers in their ears and simply shout about destroying any bit of legacy President Obama may have had.  They've denigrated this so deeply that there are literally p…