Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Sound of Music

Tempting though it is, this isn't a blog post about one of the greatest films of all time, The Sound of Music.

No, on this day off from running (I'm calling it a "knee-hab" day because that's how I roll), I'm doing a lot to keep myself otherwise occupied - foam rolling, cross training, gentle yoga, cleaning the apartment, cooking, running errands...and continuing the slow process of outfitting my brand new iPhone with all the playlists I need in my yoga teaching (and running, etc) life.

I used to have a little ol' iPod packed with music from, as you would assume, my very own iTunes account of purchased music and burned CD's.  After the untimely death of my dear, loyal Macbook Max, and the many almost-deaths of my iPod, I've been using my iPhone 4 and Marc's iTunes and music library along with some of my old purchases.

It's been interesting dipping back and forth - there is some overlap for sure, but with this new phone I've been able to hook up my external hard drive with all my golden oldies - and, with Marc and his hard drive in PA, none of the stuff I've been more recently listening to.

Going from having 3 Dylan albums on my iPhone to 12 is a good, comforting feeling!  I've been reconnecting with beloved Bob, Joni, Janis, Jeff Buckley, and some yoga music I completely forgot that I had and had been living without!

My Kids stuff is mostly consistent, although I had a few great tunes for kid-friendly background music and kid relaxation that I had forgotten about and am joyfully using again.

As far as grown-up stuff goes, I'd love to share some of my long-lost favorites I've recently reunited with.  And okay, maybe some kid stuff in there too.  Enjoy, in no particular order, a Reunion Playlist!

New Year's Prayer, Jeff Buckley

Feeling Good, Nina Simone

Across the Universe, Fiona Apple OR Rufus Wainwright  (or, obviously, The Beatles)

The Tower of Learning, Rufus Wainwright

Nobody Right, Nobody Wrong, Michael Franti & Spearhead

Poses, Rufus Wainwright

Willy, Joni Mitchell

The Circle Game, Joni Mitchell (to be used with caution on moms and moms-to-be!)

I Shall Be Released, Jeff Buckley

Sacred Stones, Sheila Chandra (great for savasana!)

Secure Yourself, Indigo Girls

Welcome Me, Indigo Girls

Mystery, Indigo Girls

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, Indigo Girls OR Elton John

Touch Me Fall, Indigo Girls

The Wood Song, Indigo Girls (can you tell I missed them terribly?)

Wonderwall, Ryan Adams

Gayatri Mantra, Deva Premal

Winter Song, Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson

Christmas Song, Mogwai (also great for savasana!)

Idiot Wind, Bob Dylan (from The Bootleg Series album)

Silent Ganges, Maneesh De Moor

Om Hraum Mitraya, Deva Premal

Staralfur, Sigur Ros


So there you have it - 24 of my favorite songs that are fantastic for a yoga class or just a chilled out (mostly) playlist.

A bonus track I absolutely have to mention, though it probably wouldn't fit so great into a yoga class, is Tangled Up in Blue as covered by The Indigo Girls on their album 12,000 Curfews.  It's long, it's beautiful, it's stunning.

Happy Thursday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection of a blog (and a hip)

One year ago today - on a much cloudier, much colder, and quite frankly very hungover morning - I went out to run.  My goal was either 4 mil...